mk 1 16v fuel pump question

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
mac1776
Tick Over

mk 1 16v fuel pump question

Post by mac1776 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi Guys, now the weather is allegedly improving it is time to make a start on getting the old girl to start !!
Compressions & sparks are good but no fuel is getting through to the injectors when the engine is cranked over.
Fuel is pumped as far as the fuel rail when the ign switch goes through to start but when the switch is released back to the run position the fuel stops flowing,is this normal?
Surely the pump should be running in the 'run' mode on the ign switch? Any ideas/pointers would be appreciated before I attempt to give it a go on Tuesday.
Many thanks in advance
Regards
Mac

Vanny
Web Support

Re: mk 1 16v fuel pump question

Post by Vanny » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 am

I think, and I'm afraid I'm no expert, that it primes when on ignition by running for a fixed time period (3s) then stops. On crank the pump doesn't start again until the ECU sees the engine running but I'm not sure of the criteria for this.

mac1776
Tick Over

Post by mac1776 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Hi Vanny
Thank you again, I will have a look on Tuesday.
Regards
Mac

Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 pm

You may have sorted this by now but if not you may want to check the relays located in the o/s wing. There are two, one deals with the pump and the other powers the injectors once it is provided with a signal. There could be a fault with the relay or the signal getting to it originating from the crank angle sensor. Fits in with what vanny said. Try disconnecting and connecting the relays a couple of times in the first instance, They can be seen when you lift the bonnet tucked up in front of the strut area.